Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 AM

Default I'm moving back to Southern Ontario!

Heya all - not sure if many remember me or whether this news really warrants its own thread (I thought there was a chatroom? oh well), but I'll be moving back to Ontario next year, certainly by summer because that's when my visa expires. I'll have been living in England for nearly two years by that point and feeling particularly storm-starved. :P

The plan is to live somewhere in the GTA for a couple years while my husband studies, then relocate (though definitely still within Southern Ontario) if necessary when he finds work. With my family in Manitoba and his in England, Ontario makes geographical sense at least, and we both really miss living there. I didn't realize how much I loved it until I left.

The move is still a ways off because a) I'm saving money and b) my husband's application for residency in Canada will take a long time to process.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eabie For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (10-16-2012), Derecho (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 PM

Default Re: I'm moving back to Southern Ontario!

Eabie!! You're coming back to us!! I can't believe it's been two years and then some since you lived over here in Kitchener. I hope England has been well and we all look forward to your return, and hopefully the Mister's won't take too long! Have you acquired a British accent?

Would the range of your idea of the GTA include KW, or are you really thinking somewhere around Toronto?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Lets hope for some really strong storms to welcome you back !!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derecho View Post
Eabie!! You're coming back to us!! I can't believe it's been two years and then some since you lived over here in Kitchener. I hope England has been well and we all look forward to your return, and hopefully the Mister's won't take too long! Have you acquired a British accent?

Would the range of your idea of the GTA include KW, or are you really thinking somewhere around Toronto?
The hubby seems dead-set on somewhere nearer to Toronto. I'm a little leery of the high rents and the fact that I've never lived in such a large city, but I also find it kind of exciting and I can see his logic -- he plans to do a program the following year, and rather than move and then move *again*, it makes sense to just set up shop in/near Toronto to begin with. But I doubt we'll live there permanently, if only 'cause of the high cost of living. We do plan to live somewhere in southern Ontario permanently though.

England's been lovely in lots of ways. It's a beautiful, green, rainy country; most of the people I've met have been very accepting and good to me; and I definitely prefer the shopping and the pedestrian-friendly layout of the city centres (downtown). But I definitely look forward to seeing thunderstorms again; really, I seriously miss them.

How's Ontario been storm-wise the last couple years?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eabie View Post
In short, 2011 was pretty active..in my opinion...quite a few damaging thunderstorm events imby...Our first F3 tornado since 96 and an above average tornado season. There were many active severe wx days in 2011...most widespread being August 24th 2011...
2012 has been awful...extremely slow...almost as bad as 2010.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eabie View Post
The hubby seems dead-set on somewhere nearer to Toronto. I'm a little leery of the high rents and the fact that I've never lived in such a large city, but I also find it kind of exciting and I can see his logic -- he plans to do a program the following year, and rather than move and then move *again*, it makes sense to just set up shop in/near Toronto to begin with. But I doubt we'll live there permanently, if only 'cause of the high cost of living. We do plan to live somewhere in southern Ontario permanently though.

England's been lovely in lots of ways. It's a beautiful, green, rainy country; most of the people I've met have been very accepting and good to me; and I definitely prefer the shopping and the pedestrian-friendly layout of the city centres (downtown). But I definitely look forward to seeing thunderstorms again; really, I seriously miss them.

Long message!

There are some reasonably priced one bedroom apartments in Toronto according to Kijiji. You two shouldn't have too much trouble finding somewhere cheaper to live. Plus, they are warning the housing bubble is about to burst in Canada... so hey maybe the rent will go down!

Did you get to check out the Olympics at all? It must have been quite the party everywhere, and probably a lot more than it was in Canada during the 2010 games.

They have been reconstructing Downtown Kitchener and Uptown Waterloo to be more pedestrian-friendly it looks really nice and European-like. The area has changed a lot since you were last here, and they are continuing work with widening roads(that includes destroying properties), building round-a-bouts, and preparing for the new transit hub and the light rail train system. They also added GO Train service to Toronto. It's coming along nicely out here.

Also, Waterloo has also changed tremendously! From the University Downs Plaza on Bridge & University all the way to the other end of the city is now littered with high-rises. There are seven which have gone up on King Street between University and Columbia. Many have gone up near the U of W and a couple in Uptown, and they are also working on the 15 high rise tower complex behind Uptown. What's happening in this city can be best described as what happened in Dubai, a massive overnight construction boom. Oh, and Research in Motion tanked and laid-off everyone.

There haven't been many storms this year, with barely any in KW. It was a drought-stricken Spring and Summer across the continent. In July Saskatchewan actually had more tornadoes than the USA. The season started off incredibly active but it tapered off at the end of April. I spent two months in Kansas between April and June and there was slim pickings with sometimes weeks between storms, and almost no tornadoes across Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska. Still saw some awesome severe storms though, including a squall line with 70mph winds in Wichita, golf ball sized hail or larger in Ellsworth County KS, and a couple wall clouds across Kansas and Oklahoma.

2011 was a good year. A good good year. An F3 tornado tore through Goderich killing one person on August 21, and three days later supercells broke out across Southwestern Ontario and merged into a huge line prompting tornado warnings for all of southwestern Ontario. An F1 tornado touched down near Cambridge and ended near Hamilton that night. There were a lot of other active days between April and July then it slowed down for a couple weeks until August. Off the top of my head... a golf ball hail storm occurred in April between Stratford and Kitchener that caused huge insurance losses, then a spectacular shelf cloud rolled through KW at the beginning of June. Followed days later by a lone supercell that crossed from northern Michigan to New York and sparked a tornado warning for Hamilton. It was high-tailing southeast straight towards KW but turned last minute near Elmira and skirted us, lol. But, that turn gave davefootball123 the storm of a life-time.

I think that's it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derecho For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks -- I've looked a bit on certain sites and I *can* find one-bedroom apartments for around $800 / month or so. That's not too bad at all. However, I want to make sure that they're in reasonably good neighbourhoods and that the buildings aren't roach- or bedbug-infested slums. That's often the catch. I'll check every building on the bedbug registry website. I did find this one place in Mississauga that rents out air-conditioned townhouses for a little over $1000 a month (around the highest I'd like to go, really), which looked nice, and they had an attractive promotional video which at least suggested they took some pride in the accommodations. I think that sort of thing would be right up my alley; of course, whether or not they have vacancies when I'm looking is another question! I suppose it's not likely. But something similar, even if it's hard to find, would be ideal.

Unfortunately, my brother decided to get married around the time of the London Olympics, so we left for Canada just a couple days after the opening ceremonies and came back just in time for the closing. It's alright though -- I don't really care that much about the Olympics, other than the opening ceremonies, and I got to see a few thunderstorms (admittedly weak) in Canada even though I was only there for a couple weeks. And I actually enjoyed the summer heat. My parents drove us from Winnipeg all the way through Saskatchewan and Alberta to Jasper National Park in the Rockies for the wedding. I love seeing distant cloud-to-ground lightning in wide-open countryside through car windows (reminds me of something from my childhood or something, I dunno), which I saw in both Saskatchewan and Alberta. Jasper was gorgeous, though I got sick in the car on the way back -- too much traveling in too short a time for my poor body to take, sadly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eabie For This Useful Post:
Derecho (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM

I've looked up footage of the Goderich tornado. Terribly tragic - the devastation in the town is remarkable, but what's even more remarkable is that more people weren't killed considering it passed right through the heart of town.

It seems quite interesting from a meteorological view too though, from what I was reading (not that I understand any more about meteorology than I did two years ago) - I'm under the impression there was very little evidence to suggest a major tornado was possible. Just goes to show you can never be too sure about severe weather, one way or the other. Especially, it seems, in southern Ontario.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:57 PM

Eabie, the tornado baffled a lot of people. I don't have clear recollection of conditions leading up to the tornado, because at the time I was working nights and sleeping during the day, and woke to hear about the tornado when the state of emergency was issued. The supercell started in northern Michigan where it was tornado warned and crossed the lake re-intensifying just before Goderich. It made landfall and the structure quickly fell apart, but golf ball sized hail fell in Stratford. Remnants of the supercell arrived in KW a little while later with light rain showers. At the time meteorologists and storm chasers were considering the cause was "lake effect enhancement" like what feeds a snow squall. I'm not entirely sure why it happened, and I'm not sure many are, but that day we were barely even "thunder-lined" by the SPC, but according to Wikipedia a severe thunderstorm watch was in place.

I know people who were personally affected by the tornado and they lost their business and had severe damage to their house. On August 24th Huron County was under a hour-long tornado warning as multiple rotating storms made landfall and it was a chaotic time for the people of the county with many spending hours in their basement. I'm really surprised there weren't more tornadoes, including strong to violent ones, on August 24th. One supercell formed over Sanilac County, Michigan and crossed Lake Huron with incredibly strong rotation. There is no doubt in my mind that supercell produced a violent tornado over the lake, but when it made landfall on Ipperwash/Grand Bend area it weakened some, but still produced soft ball sized hail and had a large rotating wall cloud, eventually cycling again to produce an F1 tornado near Parkhill.

There was also another supercell that made landfall on Bruce County with intense rotation that continued into Grey County. A tornado was spotted with the storm north of Lucknow, but it was never confirmed. There was a confirmed F0 tornado near Neustadt in Grey County, though. There were other supercells each with their own rotation and tornado warnings. Watching the whole event unfold felt like May 31, 1985 all over again. I'm not sure why there weren't more tornadoes, but even into the night it seemed like major damage had been done, including unconfirmed reports of a camp ground being struck by a large tornado in Middlesex County.

It was all around a crazy historic day. Even though there wasn't many tornadoes, there were incredible reports of hail, wind, and flash flooding. The story of the day was the lightning with over 80,000 strikes being detected. It was endless like strobe lights at the windows. Everywhere you looked was CG's... for hours. Even after the line was moving into New York the lightning was still incredible and constant in KW.

You missed a very good outbreak.