Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 09-24-2011, 06:16 PM

Default Goderich tornado research project - recruitment advertisement

My name is Amber Silver and I am a Masters of Environmental Studies student working under the supervision of Dr. Jean Andrey in the Department of Geography and Environmental Management at the University of Waterloo. I seek to recruit participants for my research on the role(s) of mobile phone technology and social media in the collection and dissemination of weather information during the August 21st Goderich tornado.

The purpose of this study is to explore the way(s) in which social media can empower individuals to make appropriate protective action decisions in high-risk short notice disasters, such as tornadoes. I am interested in learning how and where individuals obtain their weather information, how (and if) they communicate this information to their friends, family, and neighbours, and how cell phones and social media facilitate (or impede) this process. It is anticipated that the results of this research may be used to improve communication between weather forecasters and the general public.

I intend to interview approximately 30 individuals from the Goderich, Ontario region. Participation in this study would take 30 to 45 minutes of your time. In appreciation of your time commitment, each participant will receive a $10 Tim Hortons gift card. Interviews can be scheduled at a time and location that is convenient for you. If you would prefer not to be interviewed alone, we can make arrangements for you to be interviewed in a small group (e.g., husband and wife, or a group of co-workers).

I sincerely hope that you will contact me about participating in this study. I also encourage you to pass along this information to anyone you know that has been affected by the Goderich tornado disaster. If you are interested in participating in this study or if you would like additional information about participation, please contact me at 1-519-504-9709 or at a2silver[at]uwaterloo.ca. You can also contact my supervisor Professor Jean Andrey by telephone at 1-519-888-4567 ext. 33629 or by email at jandrey[at]uwaterloo.ca.

I assure you that this study has been reviewed and received ethics clearance through the Office of Research Ethics at the University of Waterloo. If you have any comments or concerns regarding participation in this study, please contact Dr. Susan Sykes of this office at 1-519-888-4567 ext. 36005 or ssykes[at]uwaterloo.ca.

Yours very truly,

Amber Silver
Masters of Environmental Studies Candidate

University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
N2L 3G1