Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 06-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Default Slow storm season

I keep track of the # of thunderstorms that happen where I live (storms personally witnessed at home), and this year is much slower than years previous.

# of thunderstorms up to this point (Jun.17)

2008 - 12
2009 - 10
2010 - 15
2011 - 10
This year so far - 5

Old 06-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Slow storm season

Hi I'm new to this great site which I found while searching for some theories as to why storm systems usually never make it to St Catharines.They seem to dissipate as they approach the Niagara area from the west and redevelop to the east. A dry slot sometimes develops and the storms go south and/or north of the area.It seems it may be because our position between the lakes and perhaps winds or lake temperatures may be the issue.It is my feeling that going back perhaps 10-20 years ago the frequency and intensity of the the storms was much greater as I still remember the "Twister" incident at the drive-in on hwy 20 and my flooded basement because of severe storm in 06/97? which took out around 280 hydro line fuses.Any thoughts would be appreciated as a I enjoy a good storm(without a flooded basement) and yes you do sense some frustration.Perhaps I have to move to Windsor?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Administrator

I dont' think we get any less storms than anyone else really. It might seem like it the last few years, but on average, we're still getting as many storms as other places. Ever area goes through a low once in awhile. Maybe this is our low. We haven't had a severe storm yet this season, but the season is young.

Due to being stuck right between 2 great lakes, and the escarpment helping trap in the air, we're definitely one of the most humid places in the country. All the soft fruit grown around here is testament to that. And usually hot/humid air goes hand-in-hand with thunderstorms. We'll get ours, don't you worry
Old 06-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Welcome to the site Optics.
My theory is the calm before the storm. This lull in the winds before the storm arrives allows the cool air pooled over the lake to flow inland and cut off any diurnal heating which could feed the storm. This also explains why they seem to intensify as they approach the golden horseshoe area, they get lake breeze enhancement before being cut off. The same happens as storms move to our east into NY state or along the north shore of lake erie as the lake heats up. I would move to Mitchell before i would move t windsor more intense storms in that area.
The Following User Says Thank You to obwan For This Useful Post:
Optics (06-20-2012)