Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 09-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Default Weather Network rolls out new 1-km forecasting

Quote:
Pelmorex Media Inc., which owns Canadaís Weather Network, will roll out a service Monday that provides hourly weather forecasts within a kilometre of a personís location. Itís an unprecedented level of precision that has taken Pelmorex almost two decades to perfect, and positions the Oakville, Ont., company as one of the most advanced meteorological services in the world.

The technology works by taking information from weather stations across the country and using computers to predict what is likely to happen in between those stations over the next hour. Users can either enter their postal code or use the GPS function on their phones to find out the weather in an astonishing 800,000 zones across the country.

The new technology, which is calls PointCast, is the centrepiece. But the firm will also announce a deal to buy Beat The Traffic, a California-based company that provides traffic information for media outlets across the U.S. It will use the acquisition to launch an app and website called the Travelerís Network, which will allow users to find out about the dayís weather, traffic congestion, airport delays and problems along transit routes.
More information here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...49/?cmpid=rss1

What do you guys think about this?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thunderbolt For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (09-10-2012), Deeon (09-10-2012), videodrome84 (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Weather Network rolls out new 1-km forecasting

Ya, I just tried it out. Works great. I just wonder how the forecasts are produced though, I would imagine being 1-km forecasting that the computers do most of the forecast...or the meteorologist does a general area forecast and then the computer fine tunes it with model data and observations to create the 1-km forecast. Definitely very precise though...whether its accurate or not is the question. Similar to the NWS's way of forecasting. They do it by latitude and longitude.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 PM

Sounds like NWS Pin Point forecast. It's pretty much just a map that locates your area and gives the forecast regions forecast is it not? TWN has mainly operated under type in your city name to receive the forecast, but now it reads your GPS location and gives the same forecast, but it's more location specific with a fancy name. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 AM

No It is real 1km forecasting. Yesterday I typed in my home postal code and then my school postal code and the forecast high temperature was different by 1 degree. My school is about 1.5km south of me.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefootball123 View Post
No It is real 1km forecasting. Yesterday I typed in my home postal code and then my school postal code and the forecast high temperature was different by 1 degree. My school is about 1.5km south of me.
TWN must have installed weather stations every kilometre.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 PM

The forecast for West Nipissing used to be the same as North Bay because observations were taken from the airport, now with the PointCast the forecasts are slightly different.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derecho View Post
TWN must have installed weather stations every kilometre.
The observations were the same...both taken at CYHM...but the forecasts were slightly different.