Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 06-06-2012, 12:53 AM

Default Anyone else had this happen to them

I was out chasing last summer and i followed a strong cell to the out skirts of Fergus, i saw strong rotation and a funnel forming so i phoned 911, and the operator laughed at me and told me i was seeing things and told me to get off the line. so i snapped a couple pics and was on my way. but non the less i was a little dis trot about what had happened turns out it was a confirmed tornado that touched down on that day i was out. so now i am confused on what to do if and when i see bad weather who do i report it to environment Canada takes forever to get a hold of and the weather network well to be honest if i am gonna call them i will get a hold of my friend that works there
Old 06-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Anyone else had this happen to them

Gotta remember that people in most places, are like most people. You get the good and the bad. Although a 911 staff not taking something seriously is VERY strange.

Anyway, yes I would still call 911 before anyone. I would call EC last. Not because I dislike EC, but because if you want to get a warning out, your best bet is 911 who can issue EMS immediately to the area, and the local radio/TV stations are a good place to start as well. EC can send warnings out via weather radio and the internet, but probably 99 out of 100 of the average population don't own a weather radio, and probably 9999 out of 10000 on the internet don't frequent ECs warning sites regularly.

So yah.. 911 first, then direct call to anyone who can broadcast to the general public (Tv/radio).
Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 AM

Is there even a system set up for 911 or media to relay reports to EC? Sometimes warnings say the OPP reported etc, but I could understand 911 laughing it off because I'm not aware of training or reporting mandates. To go against what DarkSky said, I'd still call EC first because they will issue the warning that can save lives- if anyone is paying attention or bothers to relay the message- but calling 911 to report the tornado should ensure rescue efforts or searches in the area for people who are injured or trapped. But even for that I'm not even sure if our emergency services will inspect areas for damage. I know in the US the EMS are trained to weather spot and comb affected areas for damage and trapped people.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:36 AM

thanks boys, but to be honest as a first call in to ems it was a little disheartening, but non the less if the day comes when it happens agian i am sure that 911 then to the weather network cause everyone watches that channel even if they mean to or not lol
Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM

I would contact the emergency services in that area (perhaps too late now) and mention that you would go to the media about that incident. They would have a record of your call and perhaps a recording as well. Here's a link: http://www.centrewellington.ca/depar...s/default.aspx Just because the operator doesn't understand weather, doesn't account for the unprofessional behavior. Perhaps some sensitivity training is in order for that individual. Ask for a letter of apology...that way, someone is aware of this dispatcher's attitude. Hope it helps. I would call 911 first anyhow...if they give you attitude...keep calling until you get thier attention! It is , after all, a life-threatening situation and needs to be treated that way. EC, second, followed by local media. TWN is last on that list.

Grey Highlands (Durham) Ontario