Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > Previous Years > 2009

2009 Storms of 2009 - specific weather events posted by date

Old 05-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Default April 25/09 Middlesex Storm Chase Severe Squall Line

My first chase with a dlsr!!

Three Tornadoes Reported From this storm system and straight line wind gusts of 140 km/h recorded, one in Leamington, then another in Guelph and the Last was in Ottowa I chased the tail end of a section through Middlesex and witnessed some strong winds to my North ...... I dodged the worst area by sticking south of the base. Keeping up was hard and would require some speeding so I decided to chase what I could.

The Chase begins on the Eastern edge of London and I headed East as the storm headed NE

When I got to a field still in London and started taking pictures there was a circular lowering with a hole punched in the middle, it had a blocky inflow tail feeding of the core. There was a nice warm breeze flowing into the base from my vantage point (SW of it).

Looking Further East along the Line

I took pics and tried to keep up but I had to stop to take picture of a large gustnado/ Dustdevil that was spinning up in a field

it was spinning pretty hard at one point but was messy

I positioned near a dirt field and let the storm get close and it payed off as a dirt storm formed in the outflow

What was really cool is I could see exactly;y where the wind was hitting the ground and causing all the dirt to be lifted, it just flowed from this one spot.

Now outside of London this portion of the storm was going outflow dominant thought it still managed to make a lowering overhead with two inflow tails..... The real scene was Impressive but sucked with the focus still at this point so most of these shots are blurred. My favorite method for focusing during a storm is to focus with only one centered dot and focus on objects like tree lines etc...... This is when I tried to focus on clouds still and it can work but in darker situations like this it can suck

So much more red in real life

Later on it goes blue as it elevates and peters out

Flank Shots

Video By Dave Patrick Ontarioweather.com

Last edited by Itchy; 05-27-2011 at 05:26 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itchy For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (05-28-2011), Deeon (05-27-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 11:27 PM

Nice Pics itchy and explanation of what you are seeing too.