Default Thunderstorm & tornado stats for 2009

2009 THUNDERSTORMS LISTING
(St. Catharines, ON)
RED = Severe Thunderstorm Warning YELLOW = Severe Thunderstorm Watch
DATETIMECLOUD
TOPS
DESCRIPTION
Mar.719:3135,000Moderate rain, weak thunder
Apr.2518:1535,000Strong winds before storm. *Large* squall line passed through encompassing most of southern and central Ontario. OPP-reported tornado in Algonquin Park, hydro poles down in Toronto, 140km/hr wind gust reported. Severe tstorm warning issued by E.C. at 18:03. Two tornados confirmed during this outbreak (see tornado listing below)
May.823:00?
May.910:300[non-server - no storm] Severe thunderstorm warning issued. No storm.
May.1605:15?Frequent thunder & lightning, moderate rain, light wind.
May.2817:5530,000Light rain, no wind. Weak thunder.
May.3017:5020,000Weak thunder, moderate rain, brief moderate to strong wind.
May.3100:1020,000Weak thunder
Jun.823:4530,000Weak thunder, no wind/rain.
Jun.901:0035,000Moderate thunder/lightning. Light wind and rain.
Jun.2513:0040,000Strong winds with lower rotation as storm approached, strong thunder/lightning, strong winds, small hail, heavy downpours. Tornado touchdown in Simcoe area. EC statement: "ONE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM SPAWNED A TORNADO NEAR AVON..WEST OF TILLSONBURG..WHICH HAS BEEN CONFIRMED SO FAR BY A DAMAGE SURVEY TEAM AS FUJITA SCALE 2 (181 TO 252 KM/H WIND SPEED) ON THE FUJITA DAMAGE SCALE. THERE WAS LARGE HAIL REPORTED AT A FEW LOCALES AS WELL." Video 1, Video 2
19:30?Weak storm. Light thunder, no wind, no rain.
Jun.2609:4030,000Weak isolated cell
Jun.2819:4535,000[non-severe] No winds, light rain, light rumbling of thunder.
20:3035,000Heavy downpours, frequent thunder/lightning. Light wind.
Jun.2913:0025,000Weak thunderstorms all afternoon (light rain, no wind, minimal distant rumbling thunder)
19:0030,000Moderate rain, light winds, moderate thunder/lightning.
Jun.3016:4530,000Dark cloud bases looked threatening, but was actually a small and week cell. No wind/rain, light rumbling thunder, no visible lightning.
Jul.613:4530,000Nice isolated cell popped up with clear skies around it. Strong very close "canon" thunder, brief torrential downpour, strong wind.
Jul.1109:1035,000[non-severe] Heavy rain, light wind, strong thunder/lightning.
18:1540,000[non-server - no storm] Intense storm off north shore of St. Catharines, showing purples on doppler, very picturesque Cb build-up. Weak thunder as the storm was miles away.
Jul.2114:5025,000Light rain, no wind, weak thunder, no visible lightning
Jul.2221:3025,000Moderate lightning, little thunder, moderate wind, very heavy rainfall.
Jul.2313:3035,000Lots of thunder, no wind, no rain (storm was off to the SE a bit but thunder of it could be heard continuously)
Jul.2619:0535,000Hail (pea to marble size), frequent lightning, loud thunder. Brief storm.
Jul.2914:3030,000Moderate rain, the odd clap of thunder, no wind.
Aug.0421:3045,000[non-severe] Moderate to heavy rain, no wind, moderate thunder/lightning.
Aug.0911:4550,000Moderate thunder, moderate to heavy rain. Lots of localized rotation in cloud bases.
21:0050,000Strongest t-storm in years. Continuous lightning/thunder, horizontal rain, high wind gusts, torrential downpours.
Aug.1016:2035,000Localized cell with sunny skies all around except overhead. Light rain, light thunder (except one huge crack/boom)
Aug.1118:2040,000One rumble of thunder. No wind, no rain.
Aug.2019:3545,000TORNADO WARNING. Moderate thunder/lightning, very low clouds with rotation showing on radar. This storm system produced numerous tornados across southern Ontario, killing one in Durham (town) and a significant F2 in Vaughan which flipped cars and trucks, and caused damage to over 600 homes, many of which had to be demolished.
Aug.2210:0030,000Torrential downpours, gusty wind. Moderate thunder.
13:3030,000Torrential downpours, dark and very low clouds, light thunder/lightning.

2009 ONTARIO TORNADO LISTING
DATETIMELOCATION -DESCRIPTION
Apr.25PM(F0) LEAMINGTON - NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF HANNA ST EAST AND LANGLOIS AVENUE IN WINDSOR. IT DID MINOR ROOF DAMAGE TO A UNION HALL AND DEBRIS FROM THE ROOF ALSO DID SOME DAMAGE TO HOMES TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE UNION HALL. THE TORNADO WAS RATED AS A FUJITA SCALE ZERO EVENT WITH MAXIMUM WINDS AROUND 90 KILOMETRES PER HOUR.
Apr.2518:30(F0) OTTAWA - THERE WAS ONE SWATH OF DAMAGE IN THE WEST END OF OTTAWA, FROM BRITTANIA PARK TOWARDS CARLINGTON HEIGHTS (TOTAL LENGTH APPROX 5 KM) WHICH EXPERIENCED INTERMITTENT SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE. THE DAMAGE PATH RANGED FROM 50 METRES WIDE OVER THE WESTERN PART OF THE PATH TO NEAR 150 METRES WIDE OVER THE EASTERN PART. FURTHERMORE, ONE EYEWITNESS NEAR THE BRITTANIA YACHT CLUB REPORTS SEEING THREE WATERSPOUTS OVER THE RIVER, ONE OF WHICH HEADED TOWARDS BRITTANIA BEACH. OTHER WITNESSES ON MORISSET AVE. REPORTED SEEING FUNNEL CLOUDS AND SWIRLING DEBRIS. THE COMBINATION OF THE DAMAGE TRACK AND EYEWITNESS REPORTS IS SUFFICIENT FOR ENVIRONMENT CANADA TO CONFIRM THE SECOND TORNADO OF THE SEASON FOR ONTARIO. (WHILE THREE INDIVIDUAL WATERSPOUTS WERE SEEN OVER THE WATER, THIS WILL BE TREATED AS ONE TORNADO EVENT.) THE TORNADO WAS RATED AS AN UPPER END FUJITA SCALE ZERO (F-0) EVENT WITH MAXIMUM WINDS AROUND 115 KM/H.
Apr.25afternoon(F0) GUELPH - THE TORNADO HAD A PATH OF INTERMITTENT DAMAGE ABOUT 1.5 KM LONG AND ABOUT 50 METRES WIDE.
Jun.2513:50(F2) south of AVON - (west of Tilsonburg) Roof removed from bungalow, damage path 4km long. Info: 'The tornado warning issued Thursday for southwestern Ontario became more than a warning for a surprised Tillsonburg man. Richard Smith, 29, spotted the tornado in the early afternoon while driving along rural Avon Drive in the vicinity of Belmont. Smith saw the dark funnel cloud only moments after the tornado ripped through a nearby house. "It took out the house pretty much completely," Smith said. "There were full-grown trees being ripped right out of the ground." Describing the tornado as having almost a "lightning-bolt" shape, Smith recounted "white clouds" near the funnel's base that were "throwing up all kinds of stuff." Driving by the flattened home, Smith saw an uninjured elderly woman standing outside the wreck. There was also a report of a barn being destroyed just north of the home -- about 15 kilometres west of Tillsonburg along Prouse Road -- but, again, no one was injured. This tornado wasn't the only twister to touch down in the region. Another funnel cloud ripped the roof from an Elgin County home while a startled woman was washing her hair in the bathroom.'
16:40(F1) near Leamington - barn destroyed
Jul.3
(F0) VERONA IN SOUTH FRONTENAC WHICH IS ABOUT 30 KM NORTH OF KINGSTON. THE TORNADO ONLY EXISTED BRIEFLY DOING MINOR DAMAGE TO ITEMS AROUND A HOME IN THIS AREA

Jul.9

(F1) - NORTH OF EAR FALLS AND CAUSED A 25 KM LONG SWATH OF TREE DAMAGE, FROM EAST TO WEST ACROSS WENESAGA LAKE ABOUT 5-10 KM NORTH OF EAR FALLS. IT IS BEING RATED AS A FUITA SCALE ONE (F1) EVENT WITH PEAK WINDS BETWEEN 120 AND 170 KM/H.
21:30(F2) LAC SEUL - south of Ear Falls - killed 2 visitors from Oklahoma (of all places!) 3 fatalities, 5 injuries, 2 cabins destroyed, significant tree damage. [edit - added info]: THE LAC SEUL TORNADO (SOUTH OF EAR FALLS) WHICH WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THREE FATALITIES AT A FISHING RESORT ACTUALLY OCCURRED SECOND, ABOUT ONE HOUR LATER. IT IS STILL RATED A FUJITA SCALE TWO EVENT, WITH PEAK WINDS BETWEEN 180 AND 240 KM/H. VIDEO ON THIS PAGE
Aug.201(F2) 14 KM SW OF DURHAM TO MARKDALE - significant house and trailer damage, trees down
2(F2) FROM SOUTH OF THORNBURY TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THORNBURY - Intermittent damage path of 9km - many trees snapped, Georgian Peaks sustained damage, roofs removed, homes damaged
3(F2) WOODBRIDGE (SOUTHWESTERN VAUGHAN) - 3.5km long, 100m wide - dozens of homes significantly damaged, trees down, cars flipped
4(F2) MAPLE (northeastern Vaughan) - 2.7km long, 100m wide - dozens o fhomes significantly damaged, trees down
5(F1) Newmarket area - hockey arena almost demolished, Royal Canadian Riding Academy sustained damage
6(F0) Gravenhurst area - path 10km long, up to 900m wide - shallow rooted trees down
7(F1) Milton - light poles down, roof damage of medical centre and nearby hotel, trees and fences down, minor home damage
8(F1) Haliburton Forest and Wildlife Centre (northwest of Haliburton) - very large swath of trees damaged
9(F0) Redstone Lake - minor roof damage
10(F1) New Lowell to Edenvale (west of Barrie) - path 12.6km long, two roofs partially removed, farm shed collapsed, 1000 pound trailer moved 300 ft
11(F1) Arnstein area - waterspout/tornado sightings, large swath of tree damage, shed moved, minor house damage
12(F1) Bancroft/Carlow Mayo area (southeast of Bancroft) - funnel cloud sighting, large areas of tree damage
13(F1) Rice Lake (southeast of Peterborough) - path about 12km long, roof and tree damage, car moved
14(F1) Buckshot Lake (northwest of Plevna) - path 1.2km long, 400m wide - trees down and cottage damaged
15(F0) Dollars Lake (northeast of Britt) - trees down
16(F0) Moonstone (northwest of Orillia) - path about 3km long, tornado sightings, trees down, cottages/homes minor damage
17(F1) Ril Lake (southeast of Huntsville) - numerous trees down
18(F0) ORONO (25km east of Oshawa) - damage path ~ 3.5km long and 100m at widest. Trees blown down, minor damage to home and barn.
Aug.22pm(F0) PHOTO AND VIDEO EVIDENCE HAS NOW CONFIRMED THAT ONE OF THESE FUNNEL CLOUDS WAS ASSOCIATED WITH A TORNADO IN THE HIGHWAY 407 AND MARKHAM ROAD AREA. THE TORNADO WAS SHORT-LIVED AND DID MINIMAL DAMAGE. IT WAS RATED AS A FUJITA SCALE ZERO TORNADO
Sep.28pm(F1) EAST OF ORONO - 8km path, damage to 3 barns east of Orono to Kendal, including one completely collapsed. Trees down, funnel clouds signed
Old 09-27-2009, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Thunderstorm & tornado stats for 2009

Usually this list is updated with every EC update. It's been over a month and it hasn't changed with all the new info.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
Usually this list is updated with every EC update. It's been over a month and it hasn't changed with all the new info.
Actually I got a new update (4 more tornadoes added) about a week ago. I'm just waiting to update the list here. No use updating it 10X for 10 updates. I'll wait until EC is done with it, then update it.

Edit: list udpated @ 7pm, Sep.29th
Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 AM

I glanced at the list here for a quick refresher on total tornado numbers for last year and thought the count was a little off.

According to this EC summary, there were 29 tornadoes in Ontario last year, but this list only has 28 tornadoes. We have a missing mystery tornado to locate

EDIT: After scavenging through EC severe weather summaries, looks like they confirm the 27th tornado of the season in a SWS then jump to the 29th tornado. There is no statement or summary for the 28th tornado.

AWCN11 CWTO 191705
WEATHER SUMMARY FOR ALL OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO AND THE NATIONAL CAPITAL
REGION ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA TORONTO AT 1:02 PM EDT MONDAY 19
OCTOBER 2009.
-------------------------------------------------------------
==WEATHER EVENT DISCUSSION==
..29TH TORNADO OF THE SEASON CONFIRMED IN ONTARIO..
ON AUGUST 22ND, TWO DAYS AFTER THE RECORD-SETTING TORNADO OUTBREAK OF
AUGUST 20TH, SOUTHERN ONTARIO EXPERIENCED AN UNSTABLE AIRMASS THAT
LED TO REPORTS OF FUNNEL CLOUDS IN PORTIONS OF YORK AND DURHAM
REGIONS. PHOTO AND VIDEO EVIDENCE HAS NOW CONFIRMED THAT ONE OF THESE
FUNNEL CLOUDS WAS ASSOCIATED WITH A TORNADO IN THE HIGHWAY 407 AND
MARKHAM ROAD AREA. THE TORNADO WAS SHORT-LIVED AND DID MINIMAL
DAMAGE. IT WAS RATED AS A FUJITA SCALE ZERO TORNADO, WITH PEAK WINDS
TO 110 KILOMETRES PER HOUR. THIS IS THE WEAKEST RATING ON THE FUJITA
DAMAGE SCALE, WHICH BEGINS AT F0 AND GOES TO F5.
THIS IS THE 29TH TORNADO OF THE SEASON IN ONTARIO, EQUALLING THE
ONTARIO RECORD FOR THE MOST TORNADOES IN ONE SEASON. THAT RECORD WAS
ORIGINALLY SET IN 2006. ON AVERAGE, ONTARIO HAS 11 TORNADOES EACH
SEASON.
END/OSPC
END/OSPC

Last edited by Derecho; 03-23-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:40 AM

I want to say that tornado was in the Woodstock area but I can't remember for sure. I remember reading about it in one of the Environment Canada releases about the Aug 20th outbreak but it was only a short paragraph embeded in a big release. I believe it was a F0 tornado they conformed a month or two after it happend. I'll see if I can find anything about it anywhere.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Mike View Post
I want to say that tornado was in the Woodstock area but I can't remember for sure. I remember reading about it in one of the Environment Canada releases about the Aug 20th outbreak but it was only a short paragraph embeded in a big release. I believe it was a F0 tornado they conformed a month or two after it happend. I'll see if I can find anything about it anywhere.
I've been reading through 2009 severe weather summaries for two days now, but I can't find any Woodstock/Oxford County mention. Though, for some reason I feel like there was a Woodstock area tornado.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
I've been reading through 2009 severe weather summaries for two days now, but I can't find any Woodstock/Oxford County mention. Though, for some reason I feel like there was a Woodstock area tornado.
There was one in Woodstock but your year is off. 1979 !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Wo...ntario_tornado
Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
There was one in Woodstock but your year is off. 1979 !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Wo...ntario_tornado
Heh, I know that! But, I think I'm thinking of one last year, F0 near Hickson.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 AM

TWN just did a piece on the Aug 20th outbreak, they said 20 tornadoes were recorded that day. I remember seeing 19 tornadoes somewhere, but this list only has 18 tornadoes.

Wow, I'm so confused. :coffee:
Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 AM

They say 20 at the start, but during the report is says 18, which confused me. I just saw it 30mins ago.

Tags
2009 stats, ontario tornadoes