Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 AM

Default Re: August 24 -SW ON

a friend of mine in cambridge is reporting

"I guess I got what I asked for. MOTHER of a storm ran through.. blew some of the sides off of my garage, and blew down a pole in my back yard that had my Internet connection on it... tree in my back yard is destroyed.. what a mess... it got BAD for a bit there."
Old 08-25-2011, 01:07 AM

wow, sounds intense
Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 AM

another storm here. Very close strike in proximity to me. Lightning detector indicates within 3km of me and it crawled across the sky. Very nice. Not as good as eariler though...not near
Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to LondonSpartan

I was parked just at the corner of Hwy 81 & Hwy 24 approx 2km north of Parkhill as the cell rolled in. 1" hail (scared to look at the SUV in am, I already saw a dent or two in the hood), this cell was an extreme HP, and any possible tornado could have been right on top of me and I would not have seen a thing. I quickly made my way back through town to hwy #7 - but instead on staying on it and tracking through to Ailsa Craig - I turned South on hwy 81 and then East on Hwy 17 (Nairn rd - tracks pretty much parallel to #7. my thinking was I wanted to be outside the rain and hail so IF there was something, I could see it. What did I see? I pulled over at 81 & Nairn - and it was dead calm. intense cloud formation and an eery greenish tinge. also, skud cloud literally touching the ground (never seen it that low), and LOTS of rotation, and few times I 'thought' it may be a funnel attempting to form, but nothing materialized. it was on the Nairn rd. just SE of 81 that I saw the hydo polls down and wires blocking rd, so, I had to turn around and head back to #81 and headed S. it was at this time another cell had TVS and was tracking to pass just south of me, so I headed to why #22 and turned East back towards London (my hometown). again I pulled over - had that same eery calm that you hear about right before a tornado - surface conditions seemed calm but just above me clouds going in all different directions at various elevations, skud cloud very low and rotation everywhere - and I mean everywhere. started to get pea to small marble size hail here, sky green again, but by now - almost dark (story of my life this year with chasing). insane light show driving back to London. and then Torrential downpours in London like I have never seen.
so, I still feel good about this chase, as at 5pm I was sitting around Exeter the only thing on radar was the cell to my North, tracking to hit Kincardine, Point Clark area (where my parents live by chance). but maps were showing potential strong devop. torwards the Grand Bend area, and decided I wanted to be closer to the water (in case of loosing light) so I left the cell to my north and head SW to Grand Bend area. I chose to set up just outside parkhill, so it was a success in that respect. not the best storm to chase as there was so much Precip, visibility was near zero at times,
I hope we get at least one more day this year...just one more..
Hope everyone else stayed safe, and possibly saw a tornado??

Last edited by LondonSpartan; 08-25-2011 at 01:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to LondonSpartan For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 02:05 AM

wind picked up here in Ottawa and lightning every other minute. Bit of rain! No warning whatsoever on EC. Radar seems exactly as I predicted.. im right in between the two good cells.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:16 AM

followed it between Trenton and Kingston where it lost power around 1 am. Well worth the chase as it put on an incredible lightning show.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 AM

I return after 4.5 hours of no power. Very electric storm, actually it's still thundering out right now
Old 08-25-2011, 05:22 AM

I worked this night sadly so I missed out on one of the best photo ops of the year, I was working 5pm-4 am and I only had an hour window to chase (break) so I had to choose when the right time was, as I headed to and got closer something really caught my attention was flashes on the ground in the core of the cell I was approaching.... I got as far north as I wanted and let the cell come to me..... Such intense lighting with a 15 second exposure multiple cg's in a frame would have been child's play with this one. My sister in parkhill was reporting to me golfball hail and calm winds so I told her that's a good sign of a tornadic storm then her other description made me even more nervous......rain in one direction then calm then rain in another then calm and it repeated this 3 times.... I was worried she was in the area where the rfd rain and hail wrap around the backside or even a rotating rain curtain...... Anyways sitting at 14 mile after seeing more people than I ever have filming the storm.....2 guys in a blue car one kind of looking like rozitis another minivan with some weather stuff on top and another parked behind him.......scores of other cars parked and filming ....... Another bad side effect it seems of the goderich tube is regular people wanting to go out filming ......So I didn't have my camera or camcorder and only had one hour to leave town intercept and get back to work ...... I managed to time it even that I could just drive back to London with the edge of the storm right behind me....

Not a storm I would have recommended for a beginner chaser, threat of embedded tornado and damaging hail. People in Lucan were hiding in closets...

I still managed to get some incredible footage on my cell phone.... I loved the glowing green this thing had.....I hadn't seen a storm that active for lightning since august 9 2009 and it looked very similar too!!!!!

video soon....
Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 AM

#
RT @mrvortex: Multiple reports of tree damage in Burlington ON. Too early to tell if tornado or a downburst/straight line winds. #onstorm
by weathernetwork via twitter 8/25/2011 2:38:12 AM 10:38 PM yesterday
#
RT @mrvortex: Report of severe damage in the Lucan and Ailsa Craig areas in SW Ontario. Possible tornado went through campground. #onstorm
by weathernetwork via twitter 8/25/2011 2:43:33 AM 10:43 PM yesterday

found this on the national post website

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/08...thern-ontario/
Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 AM

I don't think Ontario has ever seen so many wide spread Tornado watch/warnings. Nothing much really happened here in Wndsor Essex, hope our GTA friends made it through with out to much damage.