Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Old 06-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 5.5 Earthquake @ Ontario/Quebec border, felt as far as Ottawa/Pittsburg

Earthquake Details

Magnitude5.5
Date-Time
Location45.866N, 75.457W
Depth15.7 km (9.8 miles) set by location program
RegionONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA
Distances
  • 39 km (24 miles) N (356) from Cumberland, Ontario, Canada
  • 45 km (28 miles) NNE (21) from Gatineau, Qu�bec, Canada
  • 52 km (32 miles) NNE (26) from Hull, Qu�bec, Canada
  • 53 km (33 miles) NNE (21) from OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada
Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 2.3 km (1.4 miles); depth fixed by location program
ParametersNST=283, Nph=283, Dmin=149 km, Rmss=0.91 sec, Gp= 25,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source
  • USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event IDus2010xwa7
  • This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 5.5 Earthquake @ Ontario/Quebec border, felt as far as Ottawa/Pittsburg

Earthquake Location

Magnitude 5.5 ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORD REG., CANADA
Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 17:41:42 UTC

Major Tectonic Boundaries: Subduction Zones -purple, Ridges -red and Transform Faults -green
StarryNite (06-23-2010)
Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 PM

I felt it here in Kitchener! I was sitting at the table with my laptop and it began to wobble... it's pretty rickety so I wondered at first if it was finally falling apart. :P Then I realized the fan looked like it was moving and the building itself seemed to be wobbling a little... At first I wondered if people were doing work upstairs or something, but obviously that shouldn't cause an entire building to shake - lol. Was quite a surprise!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:27 PM

I felt the last quake in 2002 was it? Didn't feel this one, how disappointing. All my friends and family felt it. My mothers office shook just down the street.

Felt reports in Boston now.

Eabie, welcome to Ontario, lol. Though rare, we're all sitting on fault lines that shake every few decades. Strange, isn't it? There was a 6.3 in 1984 I think it was.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:29 PM

City Hall in Windsor was evacuated, and I felt my house shaking in La Salle.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derecho View Post
I felt the last quake in 2002 was it? Didn't feel this one, how disappointing. All my friends and family felt it. My mothers office shook just down the street.

Felt reports in Boston now.

Eabie, welcome to Ontario, lol. Though rare, we're all sitting on fault lines that shake every few decades. Strange, isn't it? There was a 6.3 in 1984 I think it was.
Thank you! It was my first earthquake. If we don't get any storms today (looking like more and more of a possibility it seems, sadly) then this won't exactly compensate, but it does help a little. :P Especially cool that it seems like such a rare event here - not since 2002.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eabie View Post
Thank you! It was my first earthquake. If we don't get any storms today (looking like more and more of a possibility it seems, sadly) then this won't exactly compensate, but it does help a little. :P Especially cool that it seems like such a rare event here - not since 2002.
Not 2002, but 2000, and if was a 5.5.

And the 6.3 was a 6.0 in 1990.

CP24 is talking about it, lol.

EDIT: Spooky, I'm sensing a trend!!

Every 10 yrs!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 PM

Default Re: 5.0 Earthquake @ Ontario/Quebec border, felt as far as Ottawa/Pittsburg

I was at the Fairview Mall in St. Catharines when it happened. Everyone just stood there staring at each other, then someone screamed it was a earthquake and everyone was fanning out from the centre of the mall towards the sides. It was pretty epic, can today get any better? Supposedly, Welland just got hit again around 2:30 with a tremor.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 5.0 Earthquake @ Ontario/Quebec border, felt as far as Ottawa/Pittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagii View Post
I was at the Fairview Mall in St. Catharines when it happened. Everyone just stood there staring at each other, then someone screamed it was a earthquake and everyone was fanning out from the centre of the mall towards the sides. It was pretty epic, can today get any better? Supposedly, Welland just got hit again around 2:30 with a tremor.
I never felt anything and I'm like 2 miles from Fairview. Weird.

Hehe, "Welland" never got an earthquake. Quakes cover a radius of hundreds of miles, not specific towns

The only quake I remember is coming home from work in early afternoon about 15 yrs ago. It was about 3pm on a sunny day and I was downstairs on the couch when the walls started rattling. It was too much vibration to have just been a big truck going by. I went outside and one of my neighbors was walking down her driveway and asked me "did you feel that?".

Nothing today though.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
I never felt anything and I'm like 2 miles from Fairview. Weird.

Hehe, "Welland" never got an earthquake. Quakes cover a radius of hundreds of miles, not specific towns

The only quake I remember is coming home from work in early afternoon about 15 yrs ago. It was about 3pm on a sunny day and I was downstairs on the couch when the walls started rattling. It was too much vibration to have just been a big truck going by. I went outside and one of my neighbors was walking down her driveway and asked me "did you feel that?".

Nothing today though.
Yeah, you live in Port, I remember. Like 5 mins from my house. Yeah that is weird. A bunch of other peoples I know in the St. Catharines area also felt it, all the way in the west end and in Meritt. Though I have a friend who was in the Falls and didn't feel it.