Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > Previous Years > 2013

2013 Pictures, videos, information on significant storms that have occurred in Ontario in 2013.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Jun.16, 2013 - Tornado warning for Sudbury region, other areas

Hi, I stumbled on this site after googling storm warnings for the Sudbury area in 2013. I live about 30 km southwest of Sudbury and was attempting to open up our snowmobile trail in December which runs southwest of my place toward Lake Penage. The trail crosses a small isolated lake called Reef Lake, and was completely blocked by a huge tree fall on the southwest shore of Reef. We spent days cutting through this mess. There were several spots along the shore of the lake that sustained massive tree damage. The pictures don't do it justice. The one picture shows the area when I first arrived, the second a few days later after we started to clear the big white and red pines.

The radar echo hook you posted plots quite close to this area. It is very remote, and essentially only accessible by snowmobile in the winter. Luckily, it is isolated and people were not around when the storm hit last June. I remember tracking the storm on Environment Canada radar, as I was worried it would be close to our house. Turns out this tornado or microburst was only 20km away.
Attached Thumbnails
Name: reef lake 1.jpg    
Views: 521    
Size: 293.9 KB    
ID: 6046      Name: reef lake 2.jpg    
Views: 534    
Size: 270.4 KB    
ID: 6047     

Last edited by shrunna; 02-09-2014 at 09:51 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shrunna For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (02-09-2014), Thunderbolt (02-09-2014)