Ontario Storms Site!  

Go Back   Ontario Storms Site! > Ontario Storms Forums > The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat

The Truck Stop: Storm Talk & Chit-Chat General talk on past, current, and future storms - all talk about UPCOMING storms goes here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Itchy Itchy is offline
Rank: Cumulonimbus Cloud Chaser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Posts: 352
Thanks: 187
Thanked 257 Times in 136 Posts
Default All this NOISE, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

Pictures the Grinch looking at some pictures he just took ..... with all the Camera talk going around I would like to show how a storm with grey scale and low light can create a lot of noise in a Rebel Xsi.......

This is a picture after being sharpened and post picture noise reduction and sharpening with the Canon software.
This was at 400 Iso..... before the noise reduction there was even a few hot pixels causing a couple red dots.

This was AFTER applying noise reduction and sharpening and still look at the noise, so imagine the raw image
What happened is I was shooting at 400 earlier in the chase in bright light and forgot to change it back down to 100..... These images would have looks so much nicer at iso 100, but you would need the steady hand for the longer exposure

Again it may not look like a lot of noise but I have used reduction software and this is what remains so again imagine the originals





Now a low light shot at 100 Iso no noise reduction applied after the Image.
Much crisper than the above shots because noise reduction software from Canon takes away the sharpness.....
The image below here was a much darker situation than above and more taxing on the camera if iso was at 400 it would have been Incredibly grainy.......



I hope this helps put into perspective the ability of a rebel Xsi without any fancy cs4 effects and the stock lens. I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the cam just trying to sound unbiased. It was a great camera for the time I bought it and a great starter SLR
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2010, 09:31 PM
davefootball123's Avatar
davefootball123 davefootball123 is offline
Rank: Supercell Chaser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 747
Thanks: 49
Thanked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Default Re: All this NOIS, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

That noise isnt that bad although at 400 iso it could be better
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2010, 01:06 AM
gecko gecko is offline
Rank: Rain Cloud Chaser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14
Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: All this NOIS, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

Sharpening can aggravate or introduce noise, depending how it's applied and what sort of source material you're dealing with. Previewing sharpening at 100 percent magnification will help you see if it's contributing to the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 AM
DarkSky's Avatar
DarkSky DarkSky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Catharines, ON [Niagara]
Posts: 1,625
Thanks: 678
Thanked 416 Times in 282 Posts
Default Re: All this NOIS, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

Any time in low light you're going to get more noticeable noise too. There's just not enough light hitting those pixels for the sensor to get a good determination of what colour to show. If you're using a tripod you can always set the ISO and aperature down lower to allow the sensor more time to pick up the proper definition.

Maybe do a web search for iso comparisons and see what other cameras are like at certain ISO speeds compared to yours, in low light.

About a third of the way down on this page you can see your camera compared to others:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx
__________________
- DarkSky (St. Catharines, ON (Niagara) )
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Itchy Itchy is offline
Rank: Cumulonimbus Cloud Chaser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Posts: 352
Thanks: 187
Thanked 257 Times in 136 Posts
Default Re: All this NOIS, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Sharpening can aggravate or introduce noise, depending how it's applied and what sort of source material you're dealing with. Previewing sharpening at 100 percent magnification will help you see if it's contributing to the problem.
Almost every time I apply any sharpening that is the case, usually I can get away with adding no noticeable noise by not cranking it but just increasing it by a teeny bit over the original, if I sharpened fully the trees looks really weird as well as the added noise.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Itchy Itchy is offline
Rank: Cumulonimbus Cloud Chaser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Posts: 352
Thanks: 187
Thanked 257 Times in 136 Posts
Default Re: All this NOIS, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
Any time in low light you're going to get more noticeable noise too. There's just not enough light hitting those pixels for the sensor to get a good determination of what colour to show. If you're using a tripod you can always set the ISO and aperature down lower to allow the sensor more time to pick up the proper definition.

Maybe do a web search for iso comparisons and see what other cameras are like at certain ISO speeds compared to yours, in low light.

About a third of the way down on this page you can see your camera compared to others:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx

You are totally right about aperture down, that is a technique I picked up by trial and error and read about after..... I first noticed it on my small chase on august 20, 2009. I do it to the point were the image is slightly over exposed and then darken and increase the contrast with software, I find this to give excellent sharpness and colour in the clouds while keeping noise as low as possible compared to a plain unprocessed raw

Although I don't like how blurry the foreground can get in some shots when I have to do that

Last edited by Itchy; 10-10-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-10-2010, 07:13 PM
DarkSky's Avatar
DarkSky DarkSky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Catharines, ON [Niagara]
Posts: 1,625
Thanks: 678
Thanked 416 Times in 282 Posts
Default Re: All this NOIS, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
You are totally right about aperture down, that is a technique I picked up by trial and error and read about after..... I first noticed it on my small chase on august 20, 2009. I do it to the point were the image is slightly over exposed and then darken and increase the contrast with software, I find this to give excellent sharpness and colour in the clouds while keeping noise as low as possible compared to a plain unprocessed raw

Although I don't like how blurry the foreground can get in some shots when I have to do that
Actually it should be the other way around. With a high aperature (low f-rating) you will get a shallow depth of field: your subject will be in focus but stuff in front of and behind the subject will blur out more. With a lower aperature (higher f-rating) you'll get a larger depth of field: it will tend to bring both the foreground and background more into focus.

Shallow depth of fields are great for people pictures as they bring the subject right to the center of attention in the photo. But for landscape portraits, I like to use a larger depth of field to make the picture look 'as big' as possible.
__________________
- DarkSky (St. Catharines, ON (Niagara) )
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Itchy Itchy is offline
Rank: Cumulonimbus Cloud Chaser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Posts: 352
Thanks: 187
Thanked 257 Times in 136 Posts
Default Re: All this NOIS, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
Actually it should be the other way around. With a high aperature (low f-rating) you will get a shallow depth of field: your subject will be in focus but stuff in front of and behind the subject will blur out more. With a lower aperature (higher f-rating) you'll get a larger depth of field: it will tend to bring both the foreground and background more into focus.

Shallow depth of fields are great for people pictures as they bring the subject right to the center of attention in the photo. But for landscape portraits, I like to use a larger depth of field to make the picture look 'as big' as possible.
HAHAHA see I always flip it around in my head and think high aperture high f rating , brain fart
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-11-2010, 12:22 AM
DarkSky's Avatar
DarkSky DarkSky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Catharines, ON [Niagara]
Posts: 1,625
Thanks: 678
Thanked 416 Times in 282 Posts
Default Re: All this NOIS, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
HAHAHA see I always flip it around in my head and think high aperture high f rating , brain fart
Yah I'm usually like that too but I made a mental note to get it right while typing that msg Had to proof read it before submitting to make sure it was correct.

Basically think of high aperature = high amount of light allowed in.
__________________
- DarkSky (St. Catharines, ON (Niagara) )
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:33 AM
obwan's Avatar
obwan obwan is offline
Rank: Cumulonimbus Cloud Chaser
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ontario
Posts: 322
Thanks: 35
Thanked 92 Times in 58 Posts
Default Re: All this NOIS, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

Here is something to keep in mind when shooting with a dslr(slr). It is not always about the iso. And if you buy a slr with removeable lenses it is important to remember the aperture range is determined by the lens not the camera. Dave, that is why I said the 70-300 is not such a good lens because such a large depth range limits your aperture(light) range. Static depth range lenses can offer greater range of aperture.

here is some reading
http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_aperture.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

PICTURE OF THE MOMENT - Photo by: Itchy (Apr.12, 2014, London, ON)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All original material copyright OntarioStorms.com, all 3rd party material copyrights held by original publisher