Thread: Sunday May 29
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Sunday May 29

Well, late recap, but I was in Corunna on the Michigan border of Lambton County. At one point, much of SE Michigan was under a tornado warning and a group of about 12 of us were watching the Detroit coverage. It was extremely hot and humid outside, but as the line of thunderstorms moved east of Flint, Michigan, a secondary line developed out ahead of it and the main line behind it essentially fizzled out before moving into St. Clair County MI and Lambton County ON. I heard a few decent thunders and there was light rain in Corunna.

The most interesting thing that happened though, was Emergency Management Ontario issued a very late and very false red alert for a tornado, later citing they thought "watch" meant "warning".

The Sarnia police chief interrupted all tv and radio broadcasting messages to get below ground, and they even sounded the tornado sirens all up the St. Clair River. The next day the police chief made a statement they were misinformed by EMO, and really... I hope someone got in serious trouble for making that huge of a mistake.

The funny thing is, they even issued the false red alert after the tornado warning for Essex County had ended. Seriously. Environment Canada should be heading these new warning alerts, not a secondary source like Emergency Management Ontario who obviously have no idea what they are doing.

Anyway, my camera was recording the storm when the tornado sirens were turned on in Corunna. I was actually going out back to get it after the storm when the sirens went off... you hear a gate slam at 10 seconds, that's me running in panic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derecho For This Useful Post:
DarkSky (06-04-2011), Itchy (06-04-2011)